Dear all,

When I write this I have pretty recently just come home so appearently I am safe and sound after a rather special end of my trip.

Our last night in Bangkok was pretty late so we arrived really tired to Bali (Indonesia) and were met up by, you guessed it, a friend of Oskars. She took us to a restaurant to have some nasi goreng after a short stop at an ATM. Our plan was to go out but we just couldn’t manage.

The morning after I realized I lost my Visa/ATM-card somewhere but I was not really worried since the ATM:s swallow the cards after like 30s. I was pretty shocked to find out that I lost somewhere between $250-$800, and Bali is not really that easy to spend money on! Of course, it was not with happy-happy-joy-joy-steps we went down to the beach to watch the incredible waves and the daring surfers. After a while though I was able to hide the dark thoughts of my loss and was able to watch the lovely sunset while getting a massage. This sounds a little bit better than it was though. While sitting on a log a woman came up to us and asked if she could massage us, as it sounded really nice we accepted. Then another one came up and wanted to massage our legs, then a third one to perform manicure, and a fourth one for your feet, and a fifth to wax your butt, and sixth one to floss your teeth, a seventh one to make your chest hair and so on. So, instead of enjoying the sunset with a nice (and dirt cheap) back massage all the time was spent to keep everyone away. This is VERY typical for southeast asia in general and Bali (together with Koh Samui) in specific. You are never really left alone to enjoy the beauty of the place.

However, to put my credit card loss further into oblivion we, you guessed it again you psychic!, went out partying. It worked so-and-so to be honest.

Instead we rented a jeep for $10 a day. It might sound good though but driving it was like mastering a water buffalo. Heavy, hardly-managable and very unsafe. The seats dropped down all the time and the seat belts were merely ornaments. The fact that it was left side traffic did not really do things any better either. We managed to get the wreck over to Runani (or something similar) where Oskar did his traineeship two years ago, at a hotel. We said some hi’s and how are you’s to…well, everyone…had a dinner and went back home.

The rest of the days we had three goals: try local fighting style Pencak Silat, dive and surf. We actually managed to do so and even exceeded with the help of Oskar’s ex Yunita. Yunita not only lend us her house where she stayed with her mom and two sisters (yes, we were enjoying it), she also drove us around to all the places we wanted.

The local Pencak Silat fighting style we found by asking some guys on the street, who lead us to some guy who knew the guru on the island, they called him to come over and accept us to try. Normally, only invited people can try it… After being accepted we tried the next day and to be perfectly honest the most exciting was the primitive but functional “gym” they had. The fighting style was more like karate.

The surf was better than my experience from Costa Rica but still, I am not very good at it and it was extremely tiring with 4 meter waves we never really could reach because of the current.

The dive we took was absolutely marvellous though, we had one at a coral reef and then another at a sunken american World War II warrior ship absolutely covered with coral and cool fish. It was breathtaking!

The last day, our luck was put to the test again. With our driver Yunita at work we challenged the roads again and stopped to take a U-turn on a main road (which is the only legal way to turn) and were really close to hit another jeep in front of us and BAM we were hit by a big truck from behind. Luckily he managed to slow down quite a lot and the hit was actually not that bad. We were also stopped from hitting the oncoming traffic by the jeep in front of us though. We were of course a bit shocked and very worried about whip-lash injuries and how the #¤&%¤%& we would solve the problem with our not-signed-under-uninsured rented jeep and the other two cars. Especially since involving the police makes everything MUCH harder. You basically have to bribe the police to get a police report. We managed, very relieved, to come up with a monetary solution that everyone was happy with.

After finishing off with a night out that was sweatier than the fighting, tougher than the waves and far more wet than our dive trip we were ready to leave for Kuala Lumpur, aka Kay Ell, with heads feeling something like you been hit by a truck.

I was very releaved to leave that evil island that stole my credit card, my memories of two nights and hit me with a truck. Bali was not really through with me though, at arrival to KL I found out that my camera was missing! There were hardly any places I could have left it so I was yet again devastated. Damn Bali (and damn me for not having a 100% check of where I have my stuff)!

The good news were that we have been using Oskars brilliant new Hong Kong hi-tech camera for 95% of all our pictures so the memory loss was not too large, so to speak.

KL? Nice city, especially with its beautiful Petronas Towers (tallest twin building in the world) and pretty cool bars. We ended up in one and were once again wrecked the day after again. Why do we do this over and over you probably ask me…the night life is truly great! You just have to single out and avoid the prostitutes i.e. only talk to girls that seem uninterested in you.

This leads us into the last spot of our trip, Singapore, and you know what we had there? A friend of Oskar’s! His name is Andreas and works at the Raffles Plaza (sister hotel to the Raffles hotel known for inventing the Singapore Sling).

Andreas brought us out to some really posh places the first night and the night after we and some of his friends brought him out to the not so posh places at the shady side of town for Andreas’ bachelor party. This was a lot of fun!

Hmm….that was about it. We avoided the fines and penalties Singapore is known for (e.g. $200 fine for not flushing a public toilet, death penalty for drug traficking, cane hitting punishment for vandalism etc), we drank the Singapore Sling and we shopped at the high prices. I also got some good news from home, the credit card thieves only stole $100 which was really good news compared to what I expected.

To sum up: this has truly been a marvellous trip, actually even better than I expected. Lots of adventure, lots of crazy nights out, lots of meeting new people, lots of new impressions and lots and lots of fun.

Thank you for reading! I will put this diary up with the rest on together with pictures as soon as I get the camera from Oskar.

Pz out!


Ps. I hope/guess there are some of you reading this that I am not in everyday contact with. I would like to, so please add me to your contact list on MSN (!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *